Sunday, October 09, 2011

Cookie Week Kickoff! Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


Cookie Week - Day 1

  Welcome to cookie week! This week I will be sharing my favourite simple, everyday type cookies. Nothing too fancy here. Just tasty cookies to satisfy your sweet tooth, to make for a simple dessert, or for your kid's lunch boxes. I'm kicking cookie making into high gear and starting things off with these totally delish oatmeal raisin cookies. 

  Before I say anything else though, I must say Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians! I hope you have a marvellous day with family & friends. 

  Okay, back to cookie business.

  Funny cookie story: About a year ago, I made these cookies, only when I made them I was out of regular oats & only had a porridge blend on hand. It was made of all kinds of grains - high fibre grains, if you get my drift. The cookies turned out quite good & tasted delicious & my husband had several that day. The next day he asked me what I had put in those cookies because he had spent quite a bit of time in the bathroom, if you know what I mean. I hadn't even thought to warn him before eating them! After that, we called that particular batch of cookies "Remember They Are High Fibre Cookies". :)

Don't you love the owl napkin? I sure do!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
makes 3 dozen

1 1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
--
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg or allspice
-- 
3 cups oats
1 cup raisins or 2 cups chocolate chips 
(Just to switch things up a bit, although you'd have to change the name of the cookie to Oatmeal Chocolate Chip. I make both varieties regularly.)

Heat oven to 375º F. Cream butter & sugars until light & fluffy. Beat in egg & vanilla. 

Mix dry ingredients. Add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, then raisins. 

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 minutes. Cool for a minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 
~~~~~

I'm looking forward to sharing some of my favourite recipes with you this week! I hope you'll join me again tomorrow for Haystack Cookies.

On a completely different topic, what do you think of my blog's new look? I'm excited to have it up & running. I'm so happy with the finished product. 

See you tomorrow!

Enjoy your day!
Linkin' Up:

2 comments:

  1. Like the napkins...and the story. The cookies look delish. (minus the raisins for me). Can hardly wait for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the chocolate chips instead of the raisins. They make a great oatmeal chocolate chip cookie! 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips