Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pineapple Rhubarb Jam

  Every summer, I chop & freeze vast amounts of rhubarb in preparation for my annual batch of Pineapple Rhubarb Jam. (We have 5 huge rhubarb plants in our back yard.) I blogged about the rhubarb back in August, thinking I would get to the jam pretty soon thereafter. I was wrong.

  We've had such a beautiful, warm fall here in Saskatchewan (and I, for one, am not complaining) that I kept putting off the jam making for a cooler day. The cooler days just didn't come until October! Last week, I finally got it made. It's done for another year.

  I love sharing jars of this with my family & friends & of course enjoying it throughout the year. Actually, we just finished the last jar of last year's batch the week I made this. Good timing. :)

  I present to you the jam recipe that has been adapted from my husband's grandma's recipe.

  I started out with 56(!) cups of rhubarb. Fifty. Six.

  Thankfully, after rhubarb has been frozen & then thawed, it reduces it's volume by about half. Okay, now I was working with only 28 cups. So, I multiplied this recipe x5.


Pineapple Rhubarb Jam

5 cups rhubarb (if you have frozen rhubarb that you have thawed, make sure you drain it. If you don't, you'll get runny jam)
1 cup crushed pineapple
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1 pkg. strawberry jello

Mix rhubarb & sugar, bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil for about 10 minutes. Stir often so it doesn't burn.

While it's boiling, start preparing your jars. With lids removed, soak the jars, lids, & seals in hot tap water in the sink. Leave them in the hot water until you're ready to use them.

Add Pineapple & boil for another 10 minutes. Stir often so it doesn't burn.

Remove from heat. Add jello powder & mix well until dissolved.

Pour jam into jars & seal. 

Tips: I fill my jars almost to the top, then wipe around the lip of the jar to get any spilled drops. Apply the lid. Cool on the counter until the jars have "popped". You will hear the seals popping as they seal. Test the tops by pushing down on them, if they don't move, they are sealed. If they pop down & then up again, you will have to store your jam in the fridge or reseal. To help with the sealing process, always use new seals. 

  Thanks to those of you who joined me on the jam journey on Facebook last week. It made it fun for me to interact with you while I was cooking & preserving.

Enjoy your day!
Linkin' Up:


3 comments:

  1. I have some left over rhubarb from my strawberry rhubarb so I am going to try your rhubarb pineapple...it sounds great. Two questions. 1. Do you use fresh pineapple or canned and 2. How long does it keep for. Thx...can't wait to get to work on this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your questions, Jenn! I use canned pineapple & I make & can a huge batch every fall & we use it throughout the year. I've never had any issues with spoiling. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what size box of jello do you use?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips