Monday, December 10, 2012

Peppermint Meltaway Cookies


This past Saturday, some friends of mine organized a Christmas cookie exchange. It was a great success & I have to tell you how nice it is to have a HUGE chunk of my Christmas baking stroked off of my Christmas to-do list!


We each made 8 dozen of one type of cookie & this is the one I chose to make. They are delicious & literally melt in your mouth. So. Very. Yummy. It's like Christmas in your mouth. :)

**Update: for those of you that have been asking, these are similar to a shortbread cookie. You really could change up the flavours however you wanted!**





Peppermint Meltaway Cookies   Print recipe
Original Source: Taste Of Home

1 cup butter, softened - make sure it’s at room temperature or you won’t have good results.
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch (yes, you read that right - 1/2 cup)

Frosting:
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons 2% milk
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies (I use candy canes)

In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine flour and cornstarch; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Shape into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, milk, & extract; beat until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies; sprinkle with crushed candies. Store in an airtight container. 

Yield: approx. 3 1/2 dozen.




Have you ever done a cookie exchange? What's your go-to cookie recipe? 
I sure hope my friends make this an annual event because I think it's a fabulous idea!

Thanks for reading. If you like what you see here on Silver Boxes, I'd love it if you would become a follower on Google Friend Connect, subscribe by email (sign up on the right sidebar), 
or follow along on FacebookPinterestInstagram, or Twitter
And please leave a comment when you do so I know who my new friends are! :)


Enjoy your day!



This recipe featured on:



Inside BruCrew Life A Crafty Soiree Photobucket

26 comments:

  1. Kim@reposhture.blogspot.comMonday, December 10, 2012

    These look beautiful AND delicious! I have a cookie exchange that I host every year and I think this may be my cookie to make this year! Thanks for sharing and thank you for stopping by Reposhture to leave a sweet comment on my holiday decorations.


    Truly appreciated! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delish! Very festive! Would love if you'd join our Countdown to Christmas link party! Hope to see you there! Have a great week! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/2012_12_11_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. These do look like they melt in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These look amazing! Can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making these tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No baking powder or soda?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tanya-lemonsforlulu.comWednesday, December 12, 2012

    These look perfect! It's funny, I recently made these, and they tasted great, but mine don't look as pretty as these! I wish I was at your exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds yummy! I love peppermint!

    ReplyDelete
  9. those look really delicious. i haven't been able to master these yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you at trick or treat Tuesday. These look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.

    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/12/7-recipes-and-wednesdays-adorned-from.html

    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  12. you make the yummyest food! I still drool when it think about your chai loaf :o)

    Oh and I'm currently hosting a fabulous photobook giveaway. Three winners! would love for you to stop over and enter. http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2012/12/smilebooks-giveaway-over-500-combined.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUMMY! These look/sound like they would be absolutely delicious! Definitely have to pin. :)
    ahumblebumble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jessica @ Proverbslady.comThursday, December 13, 2012

    I love these cookies. My go to cookie is the Mexican wedding cake cookie (although I think they have many names but that is what my dad called them) http://proverbslady.com/2012/10/mexican-wedding-cake-cookies-with-a-fall-twist/

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cookies look delicious! I am going to bake these to send out this year :-) Thank you for sharing. You have me as a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vicky @ Mess For LessFriday, December 14, 2012

    I've never made meltaway cookies. They look yummy and I bet you can switch up the flavors but substituting something else for the peppermint.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is the texture of the cookie similar to shortbread? And how long do they keep for?

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look melt in your mouth delicious! I think I may have found my next holiday baking project!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are really soft when done according to directions, my other recipe which has the exact ingredients says to refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes prior to baking, makes a huge difference in how the dough handles. Yummy cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for stopping in to comment, Stacie!


    On Taste of Home's recipe (which I've provided the source to), it doesn't actually have that instruction, but that would help if your dough is too soft. I didn't have any trouble with my dough being too soft at all. It would likely depend on the temperature of your kitchen & your ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so cute! I haven't frosted them but have made the cookie part so far. I love how easy and yummy they are. I ran out of peppermint extract for my second batch and I switched to almond extract and it worked just as well. I just won crush candy canes on top!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can not wait to try these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Marsha 'Nana' BakerFriday, December 21, 2012

    They look awesome. I love shortbread cookies - the way you've frosted and decorated them make them irresistible. I love cookie exchanges, and don't have a go-to, cause I love trying new all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look delicious! I love the idea of using red, white and green peppermints! So pretty! Merry Christmas!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips