Friday, November 25, 2011

Christmas Blocks

  Today I'm featuring another craft of Christmases past. These blocks have been in our family for decades in one way or another. My brother & I played with them as children... seriously. They were just plain wood blocks back then though. When I was a teenager, I found them in a box of old toys & decided to make them into Christmas decor. I painted them in alternating red, green, & navy. Then I stencilled the letters for "Christmas" on them.

  After I was married & decided to go a little more contemporary with my Christmas colours, I repainted them silver & added rub-on letters to spell Christmas & with the one extra block I had I spelled "Merry" with sparkly little letter stickers.


  I've enjoyed these fun Christmas blocks so much over the years! This year, they're sitting on the bar top between our kitchen & dining area.


  If you'd like to make set of blocks like these, you'll need:
  • wood blocks
  • paint
  • letters (rub-ons, stickers, stencils, or stamps would all work)
I'm off to do some more decorating around here. My daughter & I did some more Christmas baking yesterday. Come back next week for another Christmas recipe & lots of other Christmasy things!

Enjoy your day!
Linkin' Up:

3 comments:

  1. Those are adorable!  I should make some of those...might help my son learn to speill the word!  Thanks for linking at Shine On Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's terrific how you've been able to take a vintage family item(s) and recreate them into a special Christmas decoration...every time you look at the blocks you can remember childhood :-)
    Love them by the way!!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are super cute!!  Very simple and classy looking.  I'm a new follower!!  Your blog is really cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips