Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Light Bulb Snowmen

  Today, I'm sharing another craft of Christmas past. I cannot take credit for this idea, but I did help make these. Several years ago, my sister-in-love & mom-in-love saw or heard about this idea & decided to give it a try. Well, I would say that they very successfully pulled the idea off.

  The idea is to up-cycle used lightbulbs & make them into cute ornaments for your Christmas tree.


Here are the supplies used:
  • Light bulbs
  • FolkArt Clearcote Acrylic Sealer *See note below*
  • White paint
  • Felt
  • Pom-poms in different sizes
  • Googly eyes
  • Twine
  • Pipe cleaners
  • Mini teddy bears
  • Letter beads
  • Thread
  • Hot Glue
**Update: To view my step-by-step tutorial with step-by-step photos, click HERE.**


They started by painting the light bulbs ahead of time. ** Update: my sister in law told me I missed a step. "You need to add that we sprayed the lightbulbs before painting them...with FolkArt Clearcote Acrylic Sealer otherwise the paint just peels off." Thanks so much, Jodi!! **

Then, the fun began. This is where I came to help.



  • Cut strips of felt for the hats (or toques as we call them here in Canada) as well as the mittens. 
  • Attach twine to the hats & make a loop to hang the ornament
  • Add eyes
  • Add pom-poms for earmuffs, noses, & buttons. (You can also add them to the tips of the hat, as I did in the second picture on the blue hat)
  • Add a pipe cleaner around the base of the hat as in the second picture, if desired.
  • Attach mittens to twine & glue in place (leave some room loose at the front of the mitten for the next step)
  • Make them personal by adding a name or sentiment with the letter beads. String them onto some thread & glue the ends under the ends of the mittens.



Here's our little snowman/woman family:


  If you'd be interested in a more in-depth tutorial, leave me a comment & let me know. If there's interest, I can certainly whip up another one of these with some photo directions. Pictures would certainly help with the hat portion of the instructions as that can be hard to explain. 

  We bought a mini white Christmas tree for our family room this year. The kid's decorations (including these) & my nutcracker decorations grace its branches. We're lovin' it!

Enjoy your day!
Linkin' Up:

1 comment:

  1. What a cute idea, and better yet a way to recycle old light-bulbs. Pretty crafty!
    Besides, I bet they make your new white tree look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips