Friday, November 11, 2011

Classic Sugar Cookies

  Every year I try to start my Christmas baking in November. Some years it happens. Some, it doesn't. This year: so far, so good. :) My goal is to make one Christmas sweet each week & when December rolls around, my Christmas baking is pretty much done! Like I said, we'll see if that happens. At least I'll have a head start, right?

  This week, my little girl & I made these colourful Sugar Cookies to tuck away in the freezer for our Christmas celebrations. You can use whatever coloured sugar you want. I wanted to go for Peacock type colours. We bought these pretty coloured sugars at the Bulk Barn here in Saskatoon.

Classic Sugar Cookies
Makes 3 1/2 dozen. These are soft & chewy unlike a lot of sugar cookies. I also like that you don't have to roll out & cut the dough. Simply roll into balls & dip in pretty sugar.

2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

1/3 cup sugar for decorating 
(Use regular white sugar if you don't have any coloured sugar. You can also use food colouring to tint your own.)


Preheat oven to 350° F.

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, & sugar. Stir in the eggs & vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir into creamed mixture until dough comes together. 

Roll dough into truffle sized balls & dip the balls in sugar. Place them on ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.

Bake 10-12 minutes in a preheated oven, until bottoms of cookies are light brown. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.


When do you usually start making Christmas treats? 
These pretty sugars make me want to go make some other goodies!


On another note...

  It being November 11th, let's all take some time to remember the men & women who have served our country & given their lives to fight for our freedom. We must never forget that there is a price to be payed for peace & freedom. I'm so thankful that we live in a free country where we are free to worship God. 

  I, for one, will never forget their sacrifice. I hope you won't either.


Enjoy your day!
Linkin' Up:


  1. Sugar cookies are my favorite!!   I usually start baking the first week of December and freeze everything.  Love love love to make cookies!!

  2. I love making cookies at Christmas but I don't do it every year as it just gets too hot! I think I might make caramels in the microwave this year. I guess I need to start thinking about it-thanks for reminding me! 

    Thanks so much for your birthday wishes! You are so sweet to think of me.

    Best wishes for a wonderful week,


Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips