Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Beef & Barley Soup

I'm sure looking forward to spring. Are you with me? From some of the photos I've been seeing, there are those of you who are seeing sprouts of green in your gardens & are feeling the sun on your faces. We are sure seeing the sun here in Saskatchewan, but our gardens are still buried under 2 feet of snow. No tulips will be seen for awhile...

For the time being, we are hunkering down, staying warm, & trying not to envy the people who are holidaying or living in warmer climates. My parents are in Mexico right now... sigh. (I choose to be happy, I choose to be happy.)

Anyway, how was your long weekend? Ours was good. My husband is now in his last week of school. Soon he'll be a journeyman plumber! (I'm so proud!) He did a lot of studying on the weekend, so the kids & I hung out together, but we went swimming as a family on Saturday. On Monday afternoon, I fired up my iTunes podcast library (my fav thing to do while I'm cooking or baking is listen to preaching podcasts. I learn a lot & am encouraged in the process) as well as the oven. I made a chocolate cake, chewy ginger cookies, biscuits, & a big pot of this yummy Beef & Barley Soup...

Only one change. I used venison this time. It's delicious with either kind of meat. After it simmers together for an hour & a half, you can't even taste the difference.




Beef & Barley Soup  adapted from the Crazy Plates cookbook
makes 8 servings

1-1/2  pounds of stewing beef or venison, trimmed of fat & cut into bite-sized pieces.
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
7 cups water
4 tsp. beef bouillon powder
1 cup tomato sauce
2/3 cup pearl barley
1-1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3/4 tsp. salt
Parsley for garnish

Spray a large soup pot with non-stick spray. Add beef or venison & brown on all sides over high heat. Work in batches if necessary.

Reduce heat to medium. Add veggies & garlic. Cook & stir for 5 more minutes. Add all remaining ingredients to pot, except parsley. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover & simmer for 1-1/2 hours, until beef is very tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley & serve hot.



For another cold weather favourite, check out: 



~~~~~

You know, I've realized that I haven't posted many non-baking related recipes for months now. I figured out why at last... in the winter months the sun goes down so early here that the lighting to terrible to take photos of dinner or anything made in the late afternoon. I've tried & I'm never happy with the results. Now that the days are getting longer I'm able to capture decent photos once again! Hurrah!


Thanks for reading. If you like what you see here on Silver Boxes, I'd love it if you would become a follower on Google Friend Connect, subscribe by email (sign up on the right sidebar), 
or follow along on FacebookPinterestInstagram, or Twitter
And please leave a comment when you do so I know who my new friends are! :)


Enjoy your day!




8 comments:

  1. Kare Mary ButterflyWednesday, February 20, 2013

    Just wrote out my shopping list. I have the meat in the freezer already cubed! Can't wait to make this! thanks for the recipe!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup sounds delicious! I love using barley in soups, it just makes them so much heartier! This sounds like a wonderful meal for a cold night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steph , I'm John from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog

    It's easy, fast and fun. The best Photo recipes will be here.

    I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo.

    We would love that you participate with some recipe like this.Look Amazing!

    Regards

    http://www.Fooduel.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! I've been on a soup kick lately - I'm going to have to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good! I'm pinning this to try later. Thanks for sharing!


    I'm a new follower visiting from Craft-O-Maniac link party. :-) Have a great week! www.artistic31mama.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christie DaruwallaTuesday, February 26, 2013

    I love that you used marjoram in the soup. It is a spice I don't use enough. Your soup looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy!! Must get off the computer and prep my own dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lyuba@willcookforsmilesFriday, March 01, 2013

    This sounds so delicious! I love barley, reminds me of my childhood :)
    Thank you for joining the party! Hope to see you Saturday night again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips