Friday, March 09, 2012

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

I hated mushrooms as a kid. Actually, I hated a lot of vegetables as a kid. I grew out of that as an adult, thankfully. And, because there is justice in the world, now my kids hate mushrooms (among a few other things). Sweet justice, according to my parents. 

Oh well. 

When I make something our kids don't like, they have to have at least some.
When it comes to this appetizer, that just leaves more for the adults in the room. :)


Crab-Stuffed Mushroom Caps
20 mushrooms

20 large white mushrooms with stems
1 tsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp minced onions
1 can (4 oz.) crabmeat, drained
2 Tbsp. unseasoned, dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. low-fat mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh parsley
1 Tbsp. grated, Parmesan cheese
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 black pepper
2 or 3 drops hot pepper sauce

Preheat oven to 400º. 

Wash the mushrooms & pat dry with paper towels. Pull out stems, leaving a hole where the filling will go. 



Mince all or most of the stems to make 1 cup. Set aside.


Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add minced stems & onions. Cook & stir until vegetables are  tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Be careful not to burn them. 

In a medium bowl, combine mushroom-onion mixture with all remaining ingredients. Using a teaspoon, stuff mushrooms with filling, mounding on top.


Arrange stuffed mushrooms in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400º for 15 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature. 




And now here's the whole thing without the pics:

Crab-Stuffed Mushroom Caps
20 mushrooms

20 large white mushrooms with stems
1 tsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp minced onions
1 can (4 oz.) crabmeat, drained
2 Tbsp. unseasoned, dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. low-fat mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh parsley
1 Tbsp. grated, Parmesan cheese
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 black pepper
2 or 3 drops hot pepper sauce

Preheat oven to 400º. 

Wash the mushrooms & pat dry with paper towels. Pull out stems, leaving a hole where the filling will go. Mince all or most of the stems to make 1 cup. Set aside. 

Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add minced stems & onions. Cook & stir until vegetables are  tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Be careful not to burn them. 

In a medium bowl, combine mushroom-onion mixture with all remaining ingredients. Using a teaspoon, stuff mushrooms with filling, mounding on top.

Arrange stuffed mushrooms in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400º for 15 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature. 

Grab one before your guests get them all! ;)

~~~

This week I've been so busy that blogging has taken a bit of a back seat. Maybe you noticed? If you have, you are indeed a faithful reader. Thank you!! My posting schedule was kind of off & the time I usually have to write & prepare posts was pretty abbreviated. 

I do have some reasons:

1) Our church is in the midst of preparing for our annual Easter musical which means a couple of practices a week. (Have I ever told you that I'm a singer? Yup, true story.) This is great fun & one big highlight of our spring, but as you can imagine, it's a huge amount of work as well. In addition to me singing in the musical, my husband is playing the saxophone in the orchestra. As my former voice teacher (who is also the one who writes the musicals we perform - Amazing? Yes!) says, "If the musical is in your future, then practice is in your present." Truer words were never spoken.

2) We've been dealing with some sickness in our home - sore throats & my daughter fractured her arm a couple of weeks ago. Sick kids home from school, doctor's appointments, x-rays... 

3) Those things combined with life in general & a couple other extra things on our plate just takes up what free time we have. 

I'm not complaining. 
I'm simply asking you to please have pity on me if I go AWOL for a few days this month. :) 
Deal? 
Thank you, my friends! You rock!

Now, have a wonderful weekend!



This recipe was featured on:



4 comments:

  1. Blissful_and_domesticSunday, March 11, 2012

     Thanks so much for linking up to Blissful and Domestic Sunday Blog Hop. Hope to see you back tonight.

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2012/03/sunday-blog-hop-4_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula-Riverton HousewivesTuesday, March 13, 2012

    These look just amazing!  We'd love for you to link this to our recipe party!  
    http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/2012/03/recipe-round-up-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a huge fan of mushrooms, but this recipe is definetly making me want to try them....my husband would DEFINETLY love these!! I would love to have you link this up to my party going on right now!
    http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/03/homemade-by-you-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this yummy recipe. I'm gonna make it this week. It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips