Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Diaper Box Upcycle Tutorial


Hello, friends!

Today I have an extra special treat for you... my beautiful friend, Darlene, is going to share with you how she made these fun "baskets" for her baby's change table. 

Aren't they super fun?



Darlene & I have been friends for many years - since our college days! 
She is a SAHM to her 3 adorable children. She makes divine bath & body products. 
(Her bath bombs are the BEST!)


In the last year or so, I've started to see Darlene share some of her other creations & home decor on Facebook. I asked her if she would like to share a project with my readers & I'm thrilled she said yes!

She's put together a fabulous tutorial on how to upcycle diaper boxes into storage baskets!

Enjoy!

~~~~~


So, I needed baskets of some sort for my baby’s room to house things like diapers, blankets, wipes, crib sheets, etc…. However, at the time, I simply couldn’t go out and spend the moolah on baskets. So, I reused a diaper box and went all gang busters on it!





To start, get your supplies together. Some sort of box you want as your “basket”, hot glue gun, glue gun sticks (lots!!), scissors or paper cutter (I’m not that steady handed, so I opt for the paper cutter!), a marker, a ruler, an exacto (sp??) knife and finally enough decorative paper to cover space (I have 4 different patterns, 2 sheets each and ended up having to add a couple more sheets to cover my box.)





From the bottom of the box, measure up 5 inches, or however tall you would like your box! 5 inches is the height I needed to hide enough but not look too tall on my shelves. With your marker, mark your measurement up all the way around the box.




Next, you want to cut the box along your marked line. I tended to get anal about this, but don’t sweat it, if you’re a wee bit off. The paper will cover any unevenness.




Because I used a diaper box, there is that space in the middle that creates a bit of a hole, so I just cut a piece to match and glued it in.




Next, cut your paper in squares. These squares are 4”x4”. It resulted in something like 72 squares.




Tada!




Here’s the creative part and yet, completely random method. Very simply, start gluing the paper pieces onto your box in a pattern you so choose, making sure you cover the box completely. I did kind of a scrambled patchwork pattern. Watch for corners!! And remember to overlap the bottom, so there’s no “peek-a-boo” from the bottom of the box. To help I would position the paper first and to make sure it “fit” and then glued.




Once you’re done moving around the box and covering, you’ll move on to the inside.




Here’s the inside complete!




Touch up any corners that may have lifted or need extra help staying down. 




So, there you have it! My completed boxes for the baby’s change table. All of them have different patterns of paper but within the same hue’s of each other and her room!

~~~~~

Thanks so much, Darlene! I love how they turned out! What a creative & thrifty was to create your own storage! I hope Darlene's tutorial inspires some of you to create some of your own!

I've really enjoyed having Darlene share a project today. I'm hoping I'll be able to convince her to share some more of her great ideas in the future. **Wink, wink**


Thanks for reading. If you like what you see here on Silver Boxes, I'd love it if you would become a follower on Google Friend Connect, subscribe by email (sign up on the right sidebar), 
or follow along on FacebookPinterestInstagram, or Twitter
And please leave a comment when you do so I know who my new friends are! :)


Enjoy your day!



This project was featured on:

See Vanessa Craft Featured

8 comments:

  1. a great idea to use the diaper boxes....for diapers but in a new and cuter way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori @ A Bright and BeautifulThursday, April 18, 2013

    Awesome idea!!! It's such a great use of boxes that are too good to throw away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty paper!!! These look really cute! i'm going to have to keep some of my daughter's diaper boxes!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/04/submarine-sunday-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Carissa! Didn't she do such a great job?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! Nice job! I just love reusing boxes..I sometimes cover mine with fabric :)
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcy @ day2day SuperMomThursday, May 02, 2013

    LOVE the idea of using paper instead of fabric (the tutorial I've seen the most) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to invite you to my Friday Flash Blog, where you can share your best blog entry of the week! The party goes on ALL weekend at thejennyevolution.com.
    thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips